We started out making the traditional cob ovens and still love them. It is the 3 hours of prepping the fire to generate the heat inside before to cooking, that often deters people (and us) from using the oven without a lot of prior planning.
10 reasons why we love the 'Rocket' oven:
- It uses just 1/5th of the wood to generate heat up to 300 degree Celsius and double burns the carbon in the wood, so it is essentially a smoke free burn.
- It starts easily, with pine cones or newspaper or a few sticks of bamboo or kindling
- The wood can easily be grown onsite, even an urban block. Pigeon Pea (Cajanus Cajan) is perfect for the job and fast growing
- It takes only 15 minutes to generate the heat to cook.
- We can cook outside, away from the hot kitchen in summer
- The cooking experience is usually a social event, or can be done while watching children play or enjoying natures wonders
- The oven looks amazing and with a big prep bench attached, it is means everyone can help prep meals
- It is an art piece, we make with our own hands and that is very satisfying
- It's a duel heating system. Not only can it cook whatever is inside, it also has a cooking surface on top to keep dishes warm or stir-fry in the wok, and can boil water through the edition of running a copper coil around the internal flue.
- The food that is cooked in the oven, be it pizza, roasts, damper or baked goods always looks and tastes amazing.
Making a 'rocket' cob pizza oven is such a rewarding experience and we are often asked to run workshops.
Why? Well its always fun with more people and because it saves money!
You can spend 3 days with a small community, gaining the hands on experience through making one from the ground up - for just a fraction of the cost.
Seriously, the labor costs involved + the $700 for materials (cheaper if you source upcycled materials) results in the full installation costing just short of $4000. Considering its a unique and practical landscape feature that gets used often, and is one of a kind art piece, we have people requesting this often.
Usually, the kinds of people that come our way are 'doers' and like to make things themselves. We love that and are eager to share our knowledge and skills, which is how Organic Motion has grown into delivering workshops as much as designing abundant edible landscapes for individuals or communities.
It makes sense. For the $300 course fee, you get the D.I.Y manual and the know how to make your own, saving thousands in 3 days of workshop'ing in a fun hands on classroom.
If you are keen to participate in the workshop, just contact us for more details or sign up by following this link: Learn how to make your own Pizza Oven